Monday, January 14, 2008

Dance With Me

I'm the guy along the wall who is scowling at the people on the dance floor. It appears as if I dislike them all quite a lot.

On the contrary, I wish I were more like them. I've had my eye on you for an hour, and I can't quite bring myself to walk over to you take a single step away from the wall. Hey, it's all warm and cozy now.

This is what blogging represents for me. It feels when I begin to dance or make an overture that I am courting rejection of the adolescent-horrific variety. I feel exposed and self-conscious. Maybe that's because that is exactly the domain of blogging: self-exposure and self-consciousness.

Some of this is the result of the shock of surf-by flaming from other denizens of the net. My, but people can be testy! And partly it's that I'm not that social to begin with a complete hermit. I don't care what you think. I don't need you to approve my thoughts.

On the other hand, relationships are important to me, as are your reactions to what I say. And oh, I desperately need your approval.

Sheesh. With this out of the way, maybe I can start to express myself here more. Because if there is a contradiction (I first typoed "contraction" hmmm) in this post, it is one that represents the central challenge of my life.

Hi, let's dance.

No comments: