Monday, January 14, 2008
HAHAHAHA
OMG, this is funny. "Won't you blog about this song?" Yeah I think I will.
I just heard of TechCrunch a few days ago. Some dude all hyped up about "Web 3.0" -- looking for Rockstars of Web 3.0 no less.
So what is Web 3.0? I asked myself. Then I asked Wiki. She know so much more than I do! Dang, I was better off not knowing about it.
The problem that Web 3.0 is purporting to solve...or to attempt to solve...can be illustrated by Craigslist. I love CL. The last two jobs I've worked on have come from the Gigs section. I check it regularly.
A couple of days ago I was looking for an RSS feed so that I could work with the listings a bit more efficiently. Not very necessary, it was just a thought. But there is no such feed available on CL. So I looked at the source code, and sure enough it would be easy to parse out the HTML results to pull out the listings and their links and do whatever I want with that data. But I would have to do it myself, which wouldn't be big deal since I know what the HTML does and means.
What Web 3.0 supposedly does is standardize the use of tag attributes (if you don't know what that means, just smile and nod and don't ask any questions. You're welcome) so that a computer can search across the Internets and find meaning. Really. So that Craigslist job postings would be recognizable as job postings, not just HTML links, by a machine.
If that sounds like a pipe dream to you, I completely agree. That plan may produce some interesting coding and algorithmic developments, but ... well, the idea of abstracting meaning from metadata is just a load of Metacrap. FWIW...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment